Christ Is Risen!
Opening this month
On Saturday evening, April 19, Museum members will have an opportunity to attend the opening of a major exhibition of antiquarian maps showing the territory of present-day Ukraine over the course of three centuries, as well as an accompanying exhibition focusing on the cultural achievements of the Cossacks.
The Mapping of Ukraine: European Cartography and Maps of Early Modern Ukraine, 1550-1799, includes 42 original maps published by European mapmakers over a 250-year period. A majority of the maps in the exhibition are from the Museum's Marie Halun Bloch Collection, which consists of 52 maps donated to the Museum by the estate of the Ukrainian American writer of children's books following her death in 1998.
Dr. Bohdan Kordan, the curator of the exhibition, will be on hand for its opening. Dr. Kordan is Professor of International Relations and Chair of the Department of Political Studies, St. Thomas More College, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon. He has curated several map exhibitions, including Black Sea, Golden Steppes: Antiquarian Maps of the Black Sea Coast and the Steppes of Old Ukraine (Kenderdine Gallery, University of Saskatchewan, 2001); Land of the Cossacks: Antiquarian Maps of Ukraine (Ukrainian Cultural and Educational Centre, Winnipeg, 1987); and XVII & XVIII Century Maps of Ukraine (Ring House Gallery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, 1985).
Dr. Kordan's detailed descriptions assess each map both for its cartographic/artistic elements and for its historical narrative. The maps trace a critical period in Ukraine's history a period that includes the noted Cossack era and establish the country's place on the European continent.
A fully illustrated, bilingual catalogue written by Dr. Kordan and with a preface by Dr. Frank Sysyn of the University of Alberta in Edmonton accompanies the exhibition.
To coincide with The Mapping of Ukraine, the Museum is presenting an exhibition of some of the major cultural achievements of the Cossack era. The Cossacks: Their Art and Style uses a variety of photographs, portraits, artifacts, and publications to focus on what has become known as the Cossack Baroque: a period of intense political, intellectual, and cultural growth manifested by societal stability, the expansion of educational institutions, architectural innovation, and a burgeoning of the arts.
Both The Mapping of Ukraine: European Cartography and Maps of Early Modern Ukraine, 1550-1799, and The Cossacks: Their Art and Style will be on view through October 5.
Map: CAMPUS INTER BOHUM ET BORYSTENEM [Joan Blaeu, Amsterdam, c. 1635]. The Ukrainian Museum, Marie Halun Bloch Collection
Photo by Volodymyr Gritsik
Image: Portrait of Hetman Rozumovsky; hilt of a Turkish sword used by Cossacks; earring worn by women during Cossack era; illustration from Rigelman's history of the Zaporizhian Cossacks
Now showing …
On Saturday evening, March 29, a packed house was treated to a moving concert honoring the memory of songstress Kvitka Cisyk (1953-1998). "The Unforgettable Kvitka KC" included performances by Lyudmilla Fesenko (National Artist of Ukraine), Davyd Stepanowsky (soloist with the Smerichka Ensemble), violinist Valeriy Zhmud, and accordionist Roman Kostankowych. Svitlyana Makhno acted as Mistress of Ceremonies.
The concert was presented jointly by the Museum and Art Emes Entertainment Productions within the framework of Ukrainian Nights, an initiative of the Ukrainian American Coordinating Council. It was sponsored by the Self Reliance New York Federal Credit Union and produced by Alex Gutmacher.
Inset: video still of Kvitka during a recording session,
from a short documentary produced by Maya Lew
"The Energy That Remains"
Last Saturday evening, April 5, the Museum partnered with the New York Bandura Ensemble and Dr. Katja Kolcio of Wesleyan University to present an evening of new dance, poetry, and music titled "The Energy That Remains." The concert part of the Bandura Downtown series featured the choreography of Dr. Kolcio, the poetry of Bob Hollman, and the music of Julian Kytasty, with dancers and musicians from Wesleyan University.
Portions of "The Energy That Remains" were supported by Wesleyan University and the Rochester Ukrainian Collection Archive.
Photos: (l) dancers from Wesleyan University; (r) Amanda Scherbenske, violin; Woody Leslie, tablas; Julian Kytasty, bandura; Asa Horvitz, guitar
Header image: UKRANIA QUAE ET TERRA COSACCORUM CUM VICINIS WALACHIAE, MOLDAVIAE, MINORIS TARTARIAE PROVINCIIS. Johann Baptist Homann/Homann’s Heirs, Nuremberg, 1729. The Ukrainian Museum, Olha Dmytriw Collection (detail)
All photos © The Ukrainian Museum
The Ukrainian Museum programs are funded in part by the New York State Council on the Arts